Sunday, March 21, 2010

PLS HELP--do these CHEMOTHERAPY DRUGS cause hair loss-thx a lot?

DTIC- bleomyiens- vinblastine- adriamyrin -predmione not sure i spelled corectly---thx a lotPLS HELP--do these CHEMOTHERAPY DRUGS cause hair loss-thx a lot?
Chemotherapy acts by killing cells that divide rapidly, one of the main properties of cancer cells. This means that it also harms cells that divide rapidly under normal circumstances: cells in the bone marrow, digestive tract and hair follicles; this results in the most common side-effects of chemotherapy鈥搈yelosuppression (decreased production of blood cells), mucositis (inflammation of the lining of the digestive tract) and alopecia (hair loss).


Please see Google search for more details on Chemotherapy and hair loss.PLS HELP--do these CHEMOTHERAPY DRUGS cause hair loss-thx a lot?
Bleomycin and vinblastine sometimes cause hair loss. Adriamycin will almost certainly cause hair loss. I'm sorry, I don't know about the other one but Alacrity has given you good information..





It doesn't, as some people have said, depend on the person. It depends on the drug(s), although when hair loss occurs the extent can vary from person to person - I didn't lose my eyebrows and lashes, they just thinned out, but I know people who had the same chemo who lost their brows and lashes.





Your oncologist will be able to tell you whether you'll lose hair on your chemo regime or not.
Are you referring to ABVD plus prednisone for presumably Hodgkin's Disease?





ABVD is Adriamycin, Bleomycin, Vinblastine, and Dacarbazine (also known as DTIC-Dome). ABVD is the most chemotherapy regimen used to treated Hodgkin's Disease.





All of these drugs can cause hair loss, but of the four Adriamycin is the one that is most likely to cause hair loss. Prednisone shouldn't really cause any significant hair loss. (Especially compared to the other four.)





I would estimate from talking to other Hodgkin patients that about 75% of people lose most of their hair with the ABVD.





I had eight cycles of ABVD -- which is the maximum amount routinely given -- and my hair just thinned somewhat. I had enough to pull back into a ponytail by the end of treatment. Had eye brows, still had to shave my legs, etc. Only place I lost my hair was from my nose so it ran all the time. haha.





I was on Prednisone for about 3-cycles of ABVD due to lung problems. Didn't notice that did anything to my hair. I've been on it other times and didn't notice anything.





At the other extreme, I know people who lost every bit of hair on their body by the end of the 2nd cycle. Most people seem to fall somewhere between those two extremes.





My oncologist promised total hair loss. I hope he has modified that a little bit because I'm very glad I didn't go preemptively shave my head when he said that.





ABVD is very individualized -- you could get lucky I did or you could lose every hair on your body. It's impossible to predict -- I have very thin hair and fully expected to lose it all if for that reason alone. Hair loss does not equate with chemo effectiveness, at least not with ABVD. I had plenty of other side effects so I knew they weren't giving me red kool aid.





I would be prepared for hair loss, but I also wouldn't go out and shave my head. You'll generally know how you react by the end of about cycle 2.





Good info on ABVD: http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatment鈥?/a>





Good information on individual chemo drugs: http://www.chemocare.com/BIO/index.asp
I found difficult to say as everybody is different but u can prevent before is too late, i recommend u search online for some supplement vitamins but try to find free trials before spend ur money, i found one good site that give u 2 month trial, that will be enough to see if works for u, nothing to loose


hope will help
well my mum suffers from cancer and shes only 34 and her cancer has come back for the 2nd time the first time she had chemo she had it with an injection which made her hair fall out but any chemo tablets no matter how strong they will not make your hair fall off but hair may become very thin and skin may crack on your hand and toe nails will fall of.
its different with each person

No comments:

Post a Comment